Saturday, May 31, 2008

Evangelism

This post got me thinking more about this. I suspect that lately I'm being rather annoying. A born-again UU, if you will.

I know that Rev. Kaaren did a sermon this in the last year too, but I can't find a link right now.

I don't want to be annoying. But I do think that a lot of my friends and family would find a spiritual home as UUs. I try to just live my values, but I also think that UUs are missing the boat by not talking up UUism like the Christians talk up Christianity. Our religion can grow - and must - to be an effective arbiter of change.

How can I tell you about UUism without being annoying?

2 comments:

plaidshoes said...

Hi,

I just found your blog. I am glad that the sermon spoke to you. I am still finding a way to be less annoying! I often think of going into the ministry with an emphasis on growing the religion by being evangelical. I have yet to meet a shy Christian, Jew or Muslim. I am still not so sure why we (UUs) are so hesitant to speak about ourselves. Like you, I just think so many people would benefit from finding a home with us. I am looking forward to reading more of your blog.

--tracey

Unknown said...

Welcome Tracey! Glad you found me :). I am becoming more open every day it seems; besides, as you say, others are not often shy about mentioning their own church, or asking me about mine, so maybe if I wait for good opportunities, it will feel more natural.