Monday, May 26, 2008

Spending Time

I was driving to church yesterday with two of my kids, and we saw a man in his front yard, trimming his lawn with scissors. I guess everyone has a priority list for how to spend their time. His is scissor mowing. Mine is what?

I feel like time is so precious - there are so many things to do. I need to take care of myself - through eating, sleeping, bathing, writing, playing...finishing school.

I need to take care of my family and friends and pets and the house..

I find myself multi-tasking a lot. Sometimes I'm not doing anything well. Sometimes it all fits together well. But time...I would really like to someday feel like I could spend some of that time on my lawn and feel serenity around it.

I know that there are ways that religious people prioritize time: God, Family, Work. Or something like that.

I am still trying to put mine in order. But I think that maybe there isn't an order. I think the answer is balance. When I am able to give myself fully to the present - whether it's family that needs me, my own needs that are being addressed, clutter being picked up to make a tidy space for us, etc...balancing all of those ways to spend time makes us all fit together the best.

No comments: