Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Knoxville

So many people have written lovingly and compassionately about what happened in Knoxville, TN this past Sunday.

To know what my brothers and sisters in faith suffered because of hatred of the generalized "liberal" has brought me to tears more than once over the last few days. I also find myself trying to put myself in the shoes of the minister there, as he cares for his congregants, deals with the public, and presumably tries to come to terms with the whole thing himself. That is truly putting faith into action. I hope that I can be as brave and intelligent when faced with whatever comes my way on this ministerial path.

If anything though, I am not more afraid. My calling feels stronger than ever; I started out as a writer who wanted to reach the world in a compelling and loving way with words - there have been many posts about the so-called journalists who spew hatred that perhaps incite violence where it's already brewing. But the media continues to be an anti-progressive force, and those who write intelligently about progressive issues are pushed to the sidelines, or made to look like fringe lunatics; never getting the mainstream spotlight, but preaching to the choir, as they say.

So I feel more strongly than ever that I must respond to this deep inner calling; to be a force of change in this crazy world. I hold all the people touched by this tragedy in light; I hope the force of all the love out there for you can help to offset some of the horror.

No comments: