Sunday, May 10, 2009

A predictable MD post

I have dreaded Mother's Day for years. All of those Hallmark cards? They don't make one for my mother. It took me some deep breaths and my finger on the "Talk" button for some minutes, before I could call her today. There was the annual guilt trip about me not being there, but there was also sadness for her lost eyebrows; the chemo is starting to cause side effects besides nausea and diabetes flare ups.

Our friend Anne died yesterday afternoon. I'm sure her daughter's Mother's Days will be bittersweet from here on out. I think it's true though, what we say. To live in hearts that love is not to die.

My children made Mother's Day hectic and wonderful. I'm so grateful for them. Emma (13) saw me ogling a pair of earrings at the Lilac Festival yesterday and presented them in an adorable box. Soren (10) made a really cool box and made matching earrings and a bracelet for me from silver and beads. Jude and Lucy were just themselves and wonderful. My husband sent Emma and I shopping for several hours; Emma needed summer clothes and he insisted I buy myself something.

We went to Plato's closet and found fun stuff and had a wonderfully mother/daughter afternoon. It was fabulous and Emma had a blast. Sadly, her day ended badly when she found a worm in her steamed artichoke at dinner. Thankfully she didn't eat it, but ... ewwww. She must have been saved by the karma of saving an inchworm that blew onto my windshield yesterday while I was driving; Soren hopped out at a stop sign and rescued him so he didn't get squished by my wipers.

My friend Karen is on her way here and I have a box of chocolates for her; she's lucky I haven't raided it yet ;).

P.S. Hubby and I both got a chance to see Emma's performance in Ulysses: A Unitarian Odyssey. It was funny and sweet and fabulous! I hope they video taped it. It was great fun! I was so grateful we each got to a performance of it. Things will start to wind down in the next couple of weeks and I can't wait!

3 comments:

beanjeepin said...

you're a good daughter. I never did hit the "send" button on my phone.

David G. Markham said...

You might like The Borderline Mother by Christine Lawson. I am going to be posting a series of articles on this book on my blog.

I appreciate that you are the buffer generation and raising your children quite differently from the way you were raised.

All the best,

David Markham

P.S. My daughters and sons suffer in similar ways that is seems you do. Sometimes it helps to know that you are not alone in your struggles.

Unknown said...

David, I actually read that earlier this year at your recommendation. I sent it to my sister and we got a lot of closure out of our relationship, and I have a lot more compassion and understanding now.

Jean, you're a good daughter too. Not calling doesn't negate that. You have to have boundaries.