Thursday, February 19, 2009

Empty nesting

My husband and I are coming to grips with not having more kids. So instead we have in the last year added a dog, 2 cats, a bunny, a cockatiel, and are considering another dog. My friend just offered me chickens!! I'm so excited. I have been wanting them and my husband has been resistant, but he must see that we can't afford vacation this year so we don't need to worry about anyone housesitting, and is giving into my desire for chickens and is going to build a chicken tractor!

I'm so excited. Did I mention that? Um, does anyone know anything about chickens? We have a choice of up to 12 (I'm mostly hoping for females and one male). White leghorn and nature's berry brown layers. My husband wants Rhode Island Reds. I am thinking I should start with 6 and then maybe hatch more at some point. I don't even know how long chickens live, or how often they lay. Off to research!

Oh, and I got another scholarship application done today, and put out a plea to my "created family" to donate to my school fund at CRCDS so I can take at least one class there this fall.

And my ex-husband was a saint today. A true saint. I am so grateful for our friendship.

No comments: