Thursday, February 12, 2009

Small kindnesses


Because I grew up in a dysfunctional family, I spent many years just surviving which led me to be self-centered. Not in a selfish, evil kind of way, but I never had time to think much beyond my immediate orbit. I also had a sense of entitlement, because my mother did, and I learned it from her. I'm trying to get rid of that, and I've been very intentional about thinking outside myself in the last few years, even when my own days are hard. Cards, emails, meals, saying hello...it's all about radical hospitality in an everyday, intentional way.

The rewards are amazing and mystifying. I don't understand how doing the simplest thing can make someone's day, but it often does. I often feel like the little things I do to practice daily radical hospitality are almost meaningless, but they are often meaningful to the recipient in ways that I can't comprehend.

I have been seriously missing out on the pure joy one can bring someone by a simple, random (or intentional) act of kindness. It's getting easier every day, every month, every year, and it makes me happy.

In other news, my rock star son is now a skate punk son.

No comments: