Sunday, August 17, 2008

Family Spirituality

I may have said this before, but this whole thing about it being hardest to be spiritual with your own family is so true. But I'm trying. I am getting much better with the family I don't live with. The ones I live with? Not so much.

I often find myself in the middle between two parts of my husband's family, and it used to really tick me off. But lately, I'm finding myself able to just be gracious. Not martyred - I still have boundaries about how much I'll tolerate - but being gracious feels so good. It feels so good to let go of resentment, and feeling put-upon. It feels good to intentionally think through being able to offer solutions and love and doorways, rather than to have a knee-jerk reaction and just retreat and vent.

Amidst all my failings with my kids this week, I am proud of myself for being able to keep building bridges (even if people choose not to cross them) among other parts of my family. Same thing with my mother. I will keep offering the bridge, and eventually it may crumble from disuse, but as they say, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink!

No comments: